Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What makes a deckbuilding game?

I've been having some thoughts cross my mind during some brainstorming sessions lately, and that's wondering if Affinity is really a deckbuilding game or not.  When looking into what other deckbuilding games have to offer, I read through countless discussions about games that deviated from the apparent "holy grail" that is Dominion, and the responses were surprising.

The two camps seemed to be the side that loved the game because of it's differences from Dominion, and the other side of the fence disliked the game because it wasn't like Dominion.  Then you would have the same people who disliked games that were different from Dominion who bash games that are also too similar to it.  I think it's perplexing, but I guess that isn't really the point I was trying to get to.

From what I can tell from the camp of "Dominion is the definitive deckbuilding game" and it's accepted derivitives, here is what I can pinpoint what "qualifies" a game as a deckbuilding game:

  1. Have a small starting deck of weak cards.
  2. Use a card-driven monetary system to purchase additional cards to add to your deck.
  3. Create an "engine" with the cards in your deck.
  4. End the game when a specific condition is met.
  5. Have more (or fewer) points than all of the other players to win the game.

Well... Affinity doesn't exactly meet those conditions.

  1. You (currently) start with 3 cards in your "starting deck".  The first turn of the game is then using these cards to add additional cards to your deck.
  2. You technically use the starting cards to "purchase" additional cards to add to your deck, but it doesn't end up being the crux of the game.
  3. The "engine" you create is with the interaction of the cards in your deck, and not just drawing more cards to play more cards in a single turn to earn more victory points.
  4. I suppose the end of the game is a specific condition, but that condition is player elimination and not a specific trigger like buying all of the cards in a certain stack or running out of tokens in a pile.
  5. There are no victory points in Affinity.

So I'm not sure if I should keep calling this a deck building game and suffer the criticisms of certain players who say that my game is nothing like Dominion, or if I should call it a deck drafting game, which is a format from the CCG world that I've modeled quite a few things after.   I'm inclined to start calling it a deck drafting game from here on out, because you're not really purchasing the cards for your deck, instead each card has a value associated to it that is only relevant for the purposes of adding it to your deck.  This used to be a mechanic of adding just one card to your deck at a time, but has since adapted to have values to balance out more powerful cards than others since the frequency at which cards show up are random.

After talking it out here, it makes sense to me, so Affinity is no longer going to be referred to as a deck building game, but instead will be referred to as a deck drafting game.  Hopefully this prevents criticisms in the future, but it likely wont.  <3 Gamers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm new to Affinity, so there's a good bit of reading I need to do before I can fully understand the game, but it does, indeed, sound more like a drafting game than a traditional deck-building game.

    ReplyDelete